Cooking With C.H.O.I.C.E.S. Kids Class Week 2
Hello Everyone! Welcome to our Tuesday Recipe Spotlight. The kids had their second Cooking Class with C.H.O.I.C.E.S on this past thursday and this week they prepared Mexican Lasagna. True Confession! I don’t really like to make lasagna but every once in a while I will be in the mood to whip up a dish but NOW…..the kids can actually create this amazing dish with a few healthy tweaks. Upon arrival to the class the kids were welcomed by Chef Ashley and her amazing team, after a few house rules and safety lessons on using cooking utensils properly the kids headed to their stations to create their first Mexican Lasagna.
The first thing that needs to be made is the super quick chunky tomato sauce. The recipe is super easy to make and doesn’t take long to make. Grab these ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped (about 1 clove)
1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers drained and dices
2 141/2-ounce can no-salt added diced tomatoes
1 51/2-ounce can low-sodium tomato juice
1 tablespoon fresh basil, rinsed, dried, and chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat. Cook until soft but not browned (for 30 seconds).
- Add diced red peppers, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, until the peppers begin to sizzle.
- Add tomatoes, tomato juice, basil, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. (Sauce can be pureed for picky eaters.).
- Use immediately. Or, refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for 3-5 days or freeze for 1-2 months.
Wasn’t that easy peasy? Here’s a tip! Investing in a counter or table top electric skillet is great for teaching the kids to cook. There’s no need to have them cooking on the stove top instead the skillet will be the perfect solution.
The creation of the Mexican Lasagna was a breeze for the kids. I would suggest having everything placed for the kids because it allows that process to flow with ease. Here are the ingredients needed:
10 6-inch corn tortillas
2 cups canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed
4 cups Super Quick Chunky Tomato sauce
1 1/2 cop Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
1 10-ounce bag of baby spinach leaves, rinsed
2 cups grilled chicken (diced), turkey or beef
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped
Non Stick Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400
- Lightly spray a 9-by-13 inch baking pan or skillet with cooking spray. Place two to four corn tortillas on the bottom, trimming as necessary for a good fit.
- Add beans, 1 cup tomato sauce, and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Top with two to three more corn tortillas.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce, spinach, and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with two more corn tortillas.
- Add chicken or meat of choice and 1 cup tomato sauce. Top with two more corn tortillas.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/2 cup cheese, and cilantro.
- Bake or if using a skillet for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned and meat is reheated.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into eight even squares, and serve.