Hey Love Bugs! Oh do I have something special to share with all of you in this post. Are you a coffee lover? Have you grown tired of cleaning the coffee maker or running out of pods? Step aside, coffee pods. Take a rest, instant coffee. There’s finally a single-serve option available in the world of high-end coffee, and it’s quickly becoming a game changer. This past week I fell in love with these bougie coffee bags. Allow me to introduce you to a Santa Cruz-based startup Steeped, Inc., one of the most promising and innovative companies in the industry, has launched its revolutionary Steeped Coffee brewing method to serious coffee drinkers across the nation. It’s literally brewed similar to tea, Steeped Coffee’s nitro sealed Steeped Bags, along with their guilt-free packaging made using renewable and compostable materials, achieve the unthinkable: freshly ground specialty coffee in a single-serving. There’s no wonder why it has earned the “Best New Product” award for their innovative packaging at the recent Specialty Coffee Expo. And, it’s barista-approved!
How Steeped Coffee Started: Steeped Coffee launched when serial entrepreneur and coffee lover Josh Wilbur decided to combine the convenience of a single-serving brew method with the premium quality of ethically sourced coffee. Wilbur wanted to redeem the environmental dilemma created by wasteful coffee pods. Happy to do the math, Wilbur points out over 10 billion unrecyclable pods accumulate in landfills each year – enough to wrap around the earth more than 110 times if placed side-by-side. Moreover, each type of pod depends on expensive and often moldy brewing machines, which are also unrecyclable.
It took Wilbur seven years to innovate the proprietary Steeped Coffee system that delivers fresh roasted, pre-portioned, precision ground, micro batched coffee in customized Full Immersion Filters. “Premium coffee roasters have shied away from offering their specialty beans in single-serve packaging because it’s been nearly impossible to keep ground coffee fresh, which quickly ruins the taste,” said Wilbur. “With our Nitro Sealed bags, oxygen is replaced with nitrogen, so the coffee stays fresh as if it was ground moments ago.”
The past week has been pure heaven. No mess to clean up! No pods to buy which saved me money! I spent less time preparing my morning coffee and I have shared this amazing brand with all of my friends and family. Not only are they so easy to use their freaking delicious. There’s no rocket science involved making your cup of coffee. The instructions are simple.
- SUBMERGE – Place steeped filter in standard cup and slowly pour over 8oz hot water.
- SATURATE – Dunk Steeped Bag for 15 seconds until you see light brown crema form – much like French press. Dunk longer for added strength.
- STEEP – Leave the Steeped Bag in your cup. Steep for 5+ minutes until preferred taste. “Let it ride!”
There is no machine, no noise, no cleanup, no destructive waste.
As for flavor? Even the most discerning coffee connoisseurs in the industry are singing the praises of Steeped Coffee. Barista Magazine is a believer: “Like a tea bag—but for coffee? This new product from Steeped Coffee might just be one of our fave new ways to brew coffee on the road.”
Features of Steeped Coffee include:
- 100% Specialty Coffee: quality coffee ethically sourced directly from farmers
- Nitro Sealed: removes oxygen, stopping the clock on freshly ground beans
- Ultrasonic Edges: no glue, staples, or wasted materials for max steeping
- Full Immersion Filter: non-GMO filters that regulate ideal water-in and maximum flavor-out
- Guilt-Free Packaging: made using plant-based renewable and compostable materials
- Micro Batching: roasted locally in small batches
- Precision Ground: consistent water-cooled grinding to the micron
- Pre-Portioned: consistent SCA recommended water-to-coffee ratios
- Just Add Water: single-serve convenience with no machines required
- Barista Approved: tested by multiple independent specialty coffee Q-graders for freshness, quality, and taste
With so many coffee gadgets, machines, and accessories flooding the market these days, this simple unplugged Steeped Coffee brewing method might be just what you’re looking for to take your moment, while at home, at work, or on-the-go.