Cooking With C.H.O.I.C.E.S Kids Class Week 5
Guess what day it is? It’s time for our Tuesday Recipe Spotlight. This weeks spotlight is Herb Crusted Chicken Breast & Fall Roasted Vegetables. Guess what? We have the pleasure of having Celebrity Chef Idris joining our class and teaching the kids a wealth of knowledge. It’s hard to believe that our classes are slowly coming to an end. This has been an amazing opportunity for both the kids and I.
Chef Idris started the class by explaining to the class the importance of watching your starches and why its imperative that you do not over cook your vegetables which takes away the vitamins and nutrients. This week the kids used more vegetables that they had never eaten (Well my kids). If I can be honest again I have avoided feeding my kids many things because I didn’t like them or either I simply didn’t know how to cook them in a way that they were tasty. I can personally say that this class over the past five weeks has opened up my taste buds to a whole new world and I am loving every moment. The past few months I have been slowly weaning my kids from eating limited foods to trying a host of new things and we are so thankful to Chef Ashley and C.H.O.I.C.E.S. Let’s dive right into today’s kid recipe spotlight!
Did you see our amazing ingredients above? Aren’t they simply beautiful? Let’s get this party started. BJ started off by cutting up the onions and sautéing the onions before adding the remaining vegetables to prepare before cooking your meats. See full list of ingredients and directions below:
1 Chicken Breast 6oz
1 Beef Steak (Cut in half)
1/2 tsp parsley
1/3 tsp sage
1/3 tsp thyme
1/4 cup parsnips
- Chop herbs until they are fine. Add salt and pepper to chicken breast then roll chicken breast in herbs.
- Peel and cut all vegetables into bite size portions, except the carrots which should be peeled and cut in half. Brussels sprouts should be cored and cut in half also.
- Add oil, salt and pepper to taste and prepare vegetables. Remove when done.
- Place the chicken in pan with oil and cook until brown then remove.
- Add sliced apples.
- Place steak into pan and cook then add chicken. Cook until done.
- Add vegetables and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with vegetables on the bottom and slice the chicken on top with a drizzle of chicken pan drippings.
The kids were super excited to see their amazing masterpiece. Chef Idris taught the kids how to dress their plate. Check out his plate and BJ’s plate that he recreated like the Chef.
The Chef’s plate:
Here’s BJ’s plate: