Cooking With C.H.O.I.C.E.S Kids Class Week 4
Guess what day it is? It’s time for our Tuesday Recipe Spotlight. This weeks spotlight is Beef & Bean Chili and of course it’s kid approved. I have a true confession. I don’t like chili nor have I ever tried chili so this was my very first time. It’s only fair that my very first experience be one where my kids are actually the Chefs. As the weeks progress I can truly say that this has been an amazing journey with the kids and they are learning so much from Chef Ashley and the amazing guest health & nutrition professionals. Let’s dive right into today’s kid recipe spotlight!
This week we will be sharing a few recipes with you that are perfect to prepare with your little ones. These easy to follow directions allow you as a parent to take a step back and allow your little one to manage the entire process with you occasionally hoping in. I know with my kids they will pass the onion chopping my way in a heart beat. LOL! Let’s start with the Beef & Bean Chili
1 lb lean beef stew meat (trimmed of fat), cut in 1-inch cubes
1 lb lean ground beef
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups water
2 tsp minced garlic
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp flour
2 tsp chili power
1 green pepper, chopped
2 lb tomatoes, chopped (3C) or 2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
2 C canned kidney beans**
- Brown meat in a large skillet with half of olive oil. Add water. Simmer covered for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Heat remaining olive oil in second skillet. Add garlic and onion and cook over low heat until onion is softened. Add flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic-onion-flour mixture to the cooked meat.
- Then add the remaining ingredients to the mixture. Simmer 1/2 hour
The kids also had the opportunity to learn how to make a quick and easy zesty tomato soup. Chef Ashley demonstrated how simple this soup is to make.
1 14.5 oz con no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed and chopped
1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted and diced for croutons
- Combine tomatoes and red peppers in blender of food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Put tomato mixture in a medium saucepan, and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Add evaporated milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Return to a boil, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add basil, and serve.
Chef Brandon works diligently to ensure that the kids have all of their ingredients to create the perfect meals as well as assist Chef Ashley with whipping up special meals for demonstration.
And last but not least the kids learned how to make RED, WHITE & GREEN Grill Cheese sandwiches. Yes you read that correctly and oh boy were they super delicious. These are super easy to make.
- Use a non stick skillet and place wheat bread topped with cheese, tomato, spinach and additional layer of cheese then add top bread. Cook for 3 minutes. Serve!
Viola! Easy right? Chef Ashley had a special treat for the kids at the end of class. They were able to go on a mini grocery shopping trip. Check out the items that she picked up from the food bank to share with her class. Simply Amazing!
GRAB YOUR PRINTABLES!!!
[yumprint-recipe id=’24’][yumprint-recipe id=’23’]