Hey Love Muffins! It’s almost that time of year again. Here in Atlanta we’re gearing up for one of the busiest travel weekend for families as the jumpstart our Fall Season. Atlanta is the perfect weekend getaway destination and makes for a great road trip for the family. This holiday season there will be a plethora of activities that are happening in Atlanta.
- After a long eight months, college football returns to Atlanta this Saturday in a clash for the Old Leather Helmet Trophy! Celebrate the season’s opening as Duke takes on No. 2 Alabama at the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Kickoff is at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 31, but there’s still plenty of excitement to take in this weekend in Atlanta.
- Make your way to World of Coca-Cola, where guests will be greeted with cans of New Coke – the actual recipe from 1985 – which made an epic, limited-time return this summer. World of Coke is the refreshing break you need from the Atlanta heat with more than 100 drinks to sample from around the world. Plus, through Sept. 2, college students can simply present their valid student IDs at the ticketing window and purchase a ticket for $10 – more than 40 percent off regularly priced tickets.
- Be a part of the largest multi-genre and pop culture convention event: the annual Dragon Con Parade. Each year, guests from around the globe flood to Atlanta to celebrate their favorite movie, sci-fi and fantasy characters. Fans can attend the parade as it marches down Peachtree Street at 10 a.m. on Saturday.
- Families with little ones can head over to the Children’s Museum of Atlanta for TinyCON – a two-day celebration of fantasy, science fiction, comics, gaming and technology … just for kids! Take advantage of Jedi Training and Avenger’s Training, or join in the museum-wide costume parade.
- Getting hungry? Walk across the street from Mercedes-Benz Stadium and stop by the FREE Taste of Soul Atlanta: Food & Music Festival. Enjoy the tastes and smells of soul food while taking in the sounds of acclaimed soul and R&B artists. The Taste of Soul Atlanta is for all ages, offering a large Kids’ Zone and a marketplace of arts, crafts and merchandise.
- Outdoor types won’t want to miss a visit to Stone Mountain Park, followed by the Laser show Spectacular and a special fireworks display for Labor Day weekend.
- All weekend long, literature lovers can check out the largest independent book festival in the country. The AJC Decatur Book Festival features book signings, author readings, panel discussions and more.